I am writing this from sunny St Tropez. I have been in the South of France for over a week now and as you know over the years, I stress how important sunscreen is in my daily skincare routine. I wear SPF every single day – vacation or not! I have used control correctives for years but for some odd reason I didn’t pack it this trip and only brought Glossier’s new Invisible Shield sunscreen with me. I needed something a little more than SPF 35, so I went to the Sephora here in St Tropez and picked up Dior and Chanel both in SPF 50 and wanted to give you a little review of all three so far from my trip.
Glossier is one of the most aesthetically pleasing brands out there. But just because it looks good, does it actually work? In this case, yes! They just came out with their Invisible Shield SPF 35 and here is how the brand describes the product
Not optional. If you don’t already use sun protection every day, now’s the time to start. If you do, good! Now it’s time for an upgrade. Introducing sunscreen for people who hate wearing sunscreen—a clear watergel formula filled with active microcapsules that instantly absorbs into skin with no greasy residue and zero white cast. It helps prevent sun damage and skin cancer, but also works to neutralize harmful free radicals inside your skin, and keeps pollutant junk from getting in there in the first place—that’s the “+”. We want you to use it every. single. day. as the last step in your skincare routine.
HOW TO USE
- Apply over your entire face after Priming Moisturizer, before makeup.
- Apply 15 minutes before sun exposure, and reapply at least every two hours for optimal protection.
- Invisible Shield is not water-resistant—we recommend using a water-resistant sunscreen if swimming or sweating.
- Active Microcapsules Little spheres packed with UVA/UVB filters (Avobenzone, Homosalate, and Octisalate) freshly delivered to your skin with every application.
- H2O Watergel formula with no drying alcohol and no thick, greasy ingredients for a texture that disappears onto skin.
- Antioxidant Complex Powerful mix of Vitamin E, Vitamin P, Broccoli, and Aloe Leaf extracts help neutralize free radicals inside skin.
- Fermented Yeast and Vegetal Extract Create an invisible and breathable matrix on top of skin that prevents pollution from getting in.
- Sweet Orange Peel Oil A tiny dash provides a pleasant scent, and allows us to keep the formula free of synthetic fragrances.
- hypoallergenic, dermatologist-tested, non-comedogenic, paraben free, fragrance free, appropriate for all skin types, cruelty free
I really like the gel-like consistency of this product. I know there has been some complaints of the scent but I really like it. It goes on really smooth on the skin as you can see from the swatch below and because of this consistency, it doesn’t leave a white cast on the skin. For an everyday sunscreen and to wear under makeup, I would recommend this product. But because I am on vacation, I needed something with more UV protection for long days at the beach which was why I purchased more sunscreens to try. Recommendation: yes!
When I arrived to St Tropez, I wanted to pick up a few extra sunscreens with some more coverage. I have had friends rave about the Chanel Complete UV Protection in SPF 50 so I picked it up at the Sephora here. (It is available at Nordstrom in the US but is currently sold out on their site)
Ultimately defending skin’s beauty all year long, a lightweight sunscreen, specially formulated for the face, offers a range of protection levels to suit any lifestyle. Optimally filters harmful UVA and UVB rays, free radicals and urban pollution as it shelters skin from photo-aging and hyper pigmentation.
HOW TO USE
- Apply UV ESSENTIEL thoroughly to face and neck as the final step in your skincare ritual.
- Combined with the powers of the Tiare Flower, this unique skin protection complex adjusts to the level needed based on environmental conditions. In a lightweight, non-oily texture, the formula moisturizes skin as it protects, and leaves skin radiant, flawless and perfectly primed for makeup application. SPF 50 offers very high protection even under intense sun and is also recommended for fair skin in moderately sunny weather.
I wanted to like this product but I really don’t at all. The moment I put it on my skin it felt very thick and heavy and did not blend well at all. It left a very heavy white cast on my skin and it made me break out a little at my jaw line. I took a photo in natural light with no flash and my face looked much lighter than the rest of my body. Recommendation: would not buy
The other product I picked up at the Sephora here was Dior’s Crème Protectrice Hâle Sublime Visage SPF50. I am trying to find a link for you guys so you can buy it, but it appears to only be available in France which is probably why I have never seen this product before. This means I need to stop at the store here and buy some more to take home with me. Below I will copy and paste the translation from French to English, but if it doesn’t make sense then blame google.
Featuring an ultra-melting texture, SPF 50 Skin Protector Sublime Skin leaves no finish to the touch to reveal pearly reflections. The skin is instantly wrapped in a satin light. Designed for the fine and fragile skin of the face, it preserves free radicals and the appearance of photo-induced spots. It transforms each application into a delightful sensory journey thanks to its signature olfactory accents of paradise.
HOW TO USE
- Apply generously before any exposure to the sun and frequently repeat the application after the bath. Face.
If you look at the swatches below, you can see that after I swatched the Dior product it is much creamier and also less white than the Chanel SPF. I am wearing this product today and there is no white cast on my skin, it feels lightweight and not greasy and it blends well under makeup. Recommendation: would buy! If you can’t find it in the US, hopefully you see it at an airport in duty free or I guess use it as an excuse to buy yourself a gift if you ever visit France.